Sat 8 May 2010
Suffice it to say that by the time the entire epic 32-plus mile ride is completed, those who do the entire route with me will be sick of my voice from the ridiculous amount of notes I have compiled and will recite at the following stops:
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Ralph Bunche’s childhood home
- The location of the 1969 Shootout between LAPD and Black Panthers at Black Panther Part headquarters
- The Dunbar Hotel and the Central Avenue Jazz Corridor
- The site of the 1974 shootout between SLA members and the LAPD
- The site of the arrest that set off the 1965 Watts Riots
- The home of Eula Love
- Flashpoint of the 1992 LA Riots
- Site of Wrigley Field
If you might be wondering why the Watts Towers isn’t on that list it’s because tours and info are available there for anyone interested and thus I don’t have to utter a single dang word about the inspiring landmark that to me signifies the true heart of Los Angeles. I will blessedly also have nothing to say about our last stop for food at King Taco on Washington Boulevard, other than “Two carne asada tacos and a large horchata please!”
Spokecards are ready. Now I’m off to prep my bike and pack. Hope to see some of you later!
No Responses to “ Watts Up! ”
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.